The Physicians Committee is leading a revolution in medicine—putting a new focus on health and compassion. The Physicians Committee combines the clout and expertise of more than 12,000 physicians with the dedicated actions of 150,000 members across the United States and around the world.
Our efforts are dramatically changing the way doctors treat chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and cancer. By putting prevention over pills, doctors are empowering their patients to take control of their own health.
And we are also building a new way of viewing research. Since 1985, the Physicians Committee has been working tirelessly for alternatives to the use of animals in medical education and research and advocating for more effective scientific methods.
Our staff of physicians, dietitians, and scientists is working with policymakers, industry, the medical community, the media, and the public to create a better future for people and animals.
Our priorities include:
- Shifting research from animal “models” to human-relevant studies
- Bringing nutrition into medical education and practice
- Conducting clinical research on healthful diets that builds the foundation for the role of nutrition in medicine
- Educating and empowering people to take control of their health through Kickstart, Food for Life, and other nutrition programs
- Working with policymakers and industry to adopt alternatives to chemical tests on animals